This Privacy Notice sets out the policies of this website (www.legislation.sa.gov.au) (“Website”) that relate to the privacy and security of your personal information and security of your other information while using the Website. If you were directed to this page from another website, this Privacy Notice does not apply to any content or function on that other website.
In this Privacy Notice, “State” means the Crown in right of the State of South Australia.
1. This Website is operated in accordance with the Government of South Australia’s Information Privacy Principles (“IPPs”) with respect of any personal information that you disclose via this Website. The IPPs places obligations on South Australian Government agencies and departments in relation to the collection, storage, disclosure, and other use of personal information. The State will handle personal information in accordance with the IPPs. A copy of the IPPs can be obtained on the Department of the Premier and Cabinet website.
Legislation Subscription Service
2. This Website includes the ability for users to subscribe to A-Z Acts, A-Z Regulations and A-Z Policies (together, “legislation”) to receive email notifications of any updates regarding that legislation (“Subscription”).
3. A Subscription is activated by a user clicking on the “subscribe” icon on the page to the relevant legislation and entering the email address of that user. The user will then receive email notifications of any updates to the legislation subject to the Subscription unless and until the user unsubscribes.
4. When a user activates a Subscription that user expressly consents to the State collecting, storing and using that email address in accordance with this Privacy Notice and the IPPs.
5. Activating and updating a Subscription does not require a user to provide their name or other identifying information, but this information may be captured incidentally if it is a part of an email address that a user provides (e.g. email@example.com; or firstname.lastname@example.org). Each user supplies their email address at their own risk and liability. The legislation subject to the Subscription will be stored together with the relevant user’s subscribed email address.
6. The State will collect, store and use a subscribed email address, together with the titles to the legislation that have been selected for the Subscription, for the purposes of the State sending the user email notifications:
- of updates to the legislation subject to the Subscription;
- to advise the user of any updates or improvements to the Website generally;
- to advise the user if there has been a service outage with respect of the Website or if a service outage is planned;
- to advise the user if the Subscription service will change in any way; and
- for limited secondary purposes incidental to or connected with the abovementioned purposes,
and for no other purposes.
7. Subject to paragraph 5, the State will not collect, store or use any other information of a user for the purposes set out in paragraph 6, unless otherwise provided for in this Privacy Notice.
8. A user may unsubscribe to a specific piece of legislation in the Subscription by clicking on the “unsubscribe” icon in any email sent to the relevant email address, and the user will no longer receive emails regarding that piece of legislation. Where the user has a Subscription for multiple pieces of legislation the user will need to unsubscribe from all pieces of legislation to end the Subscription service. Once a user unsubscribes from the whole of a Subscription:
- that user will no longer receive email notifications from the State with regards to the Website; and
- that user’s email address will be stored in accordance with the IPPs until deleted.
9. We do not guarantee that Harmful Code will not enter the Website and compromise the information you provide as part of the Subscription and you provide such information at your own risk and liability. The State will use reasonable endeavours to protect the email address you provide to the State as part of the Subscription and will use reasonable endeavours ensure that such email address is not compromised.
10. In this Privacy Notice, “Harmful Code” means any form of harmful surreptitious code or other contaminants, including misinformation, viruses, bugs, Trojan horses, spyware or adware.
General Collection and Use of Personal Information
11. This Website collects and uses the following information from users:
- If a user activates a Subscription:
- that user’s email address and any identifying information which is incidental to that email address (refer paragraph 5);
- the legislation that a user subscribes to pursuant to a Subscription,
- which information will be used by the State in accordance with paragraphs 2 – 8 above and the IPPs.
- The user's IP address, the date and time of the visit to the Website, the pages accessed and documents downloaded, the previous website visited, and the type of browser used. No attempt will be made to identify users or their browsing activities, except in the unlikely event of an investigation where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect our service provider's logs. This information is analysed to determine the Website's usage statistics.
- Your personal information will not be disclosed to a third party except in accordance with the IPPs.
- Site administrators are required to protect and handle your personal information in accordance with the IPPs.
- This Website and the Government of South Australia are responsible for the privacy and security of information while it is stored on or passing through this Website. The Government of South Australia agencies and instrumentalities are responsible for the privacy and security of information collected by, stored on or passing through their own websites.
- You should note that there are inherent risks associated with transmission of information by the internet. You should make your own assessment of the potential risks to the security of your information when making a decision as to whether or not you should use this Website. There are alternative ways to obtaining information from and transacting business with the Government of South Australia for those users who do not wish to use the internet.
- This Website contains links to a number of other websites that are included on the basis of containing content relevant to the South Australian community, business or government. When a user clicks on a link to another website, they leave this Website and this privacy and security statement no longer applies.
- The content of this Privacy Notice may be updated from time to time without notice to you, and it is your sole responsibility and liability to return to this page on a regular basis to read any such updates.
12. We use Google Analytics to monitor traffic and user behaviour on this website. Personal information is not recorded as part of this process. However, if you wish to prevent your data from being collected by Google Analytics you can install a browser add-on.